How to Make Vegan Strawberry Margarita Jello Shots for Cinco de Mayo
Cinco de Mayo is only 5 days away and drinking is the game. However, I love the idea and fun of a jello shots. Typically jello shots are made with jello that is made with gelatin which is a nearly transparent, faintly yellow, odorless, and almost tasteless glutinous substance obtained byboiling in water the ligaments, bones, skin, etc., of animals, and forming the basis of jellies, glues, and the like (which isn’t vegan or vegetarian). If you have recipe you would like to see me make, let me know in the comments below. Let me know of what you think of this recipe on via twitter or instagram(@vegetarianbaker & #thevegetarianbaker)
This made me want to start experimenting with other thickeners to make a vegan jello shot. I started to playing with pectin, which is a white, amorphous, colloidal carbohydrate of high molecular weight occurring in ripe fruits, especially inapples, currants, etc., and used in fruit jellies, pharmaceuticals, and cosmetics for its thickening andemulsifying properties and its ability to solidify to a gel.
- Strawberries, 1 Pint
- Lime, 1 ea.
- Tequila, 1 Cup
- Granulated Sugar, 1 Cup
- Pectin, 1 Package
- Salt/Sugar, For Garnish
- Slice 10 strawberries and macerate in the 1 cup of granulated sugar for 2 hours.
- Bring strawberry mixture to a boil and add the pectin.
- Add tequila to the strawberry/pectin mixture and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Form your strawberry shot glasses by flattening the bottom and using a melon baller to clean out the inner parts of the strawberry (refer to video to learn how to do it).
- Dip the tips of the strawberry in a salt, sugar, and lime zest mixture.
- Pour the strawberry/tequila mixture into the strawberry shot glasses and refrigerate overnight.
- Garnish with a lime wedge and enjoy.
What an awesome idea – these are so cute!!
AMAZING!!!! I’m having a housewarming party soon, and you I think you just made me the world’s most creative host.
Question! Would adding lime juice to the stawberry and pectin mixture mess it up? I know the other alternative vegan jello, agar, reacts with cirtus and wont set up.
I know I’m missing something, but to “macerate” means to soften by soaking in liquid, so how would one do so in sugar?